Thursday, May 30, 2013

Need Help -- Living Arrangement in Peril

This is something I don't want to post but need to post.  Pretty much every time I've had health troubles my hubby and I have had financial troubles.  I have been out of work since September due to a number of health issues.  Part of the reason is also due to the fact that the owner and employees of the apartment complex refused/refuses to do anything about the roaches in our building and other maintenance stuff.  After living in the same apartment for 4 years roaches suddenly appeared.  A young guy with his child who lived at the complex for only a few months brought the roaches into our building.  Another tenant saw roaches crawling all over garbage bags as the guy cleaned up before leaving his apartment. Another tenant noticed So we've spent a decent amount on roach traps, bags for the food, dishes, and silverware and other items to try and get rid of the roaches.  Plus the staff made an error on our lease renewal which we were penalized for, which  put us in arrears at least $1000.

There was a court date at the beginning of May.  The office staff told us that if we came up with $2000 then they wouldn't evict us.  It took us a little while to come up with that kind of cash. But ever since we did, my husband has been trying to contact the office staff and the phone reroutes his call, they won't return our messages, and just plain refuse to talk to us.  Recently, we got an eviction notice so we have until Monday to be out of our apartment.

I don't know what we are going to do.  We have two cats that are a part of our family.  They have been my saving grace especially after having my hysterectomy, with the loss of not being able to have children.  I have posted a hat tip jar donation button on the sidebar of the blog.  If there is any advice or donations you are able to give that would most appreciated.

I want to send a big thank you to Opus at American Perspective for her most generous donation.

Update 2:30 May 30: We actually got a phone call from the office person.  She said if we can come up with an additional $1000 by June 15 we can stay.


5 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Praying for you and your family, T.

Anonymous said...

Does you state have a Housing Authority of some kind?
If so contact them.
Or try your states Civil Liberties Union.The one here in Indian helped me.I will be praying for you.
I cross posted this for you.

Teresa said...

Thank you very much Opus. God Bless.


Not sure Rick. The Civil Liberties Union is a good idea although I'm unsure as to how they can help. Thanks for the crosspost. God Bless.

Subvet said...

Don't know if its available but most places I've lived the local newspaper would have a reporter whose sole purpose in life was to look into stories like this. Kind of a consumer advocate thing and it's always well read because NOBODY likes seeing anyone get the shaft like you obviously are. I'd recommend contacting them, if it works out right the threat of negative publicity will be enough for the aparment management to back off. Good luck, you're in my family's prayers.

Teresa said...

Thank you so much for your prayers and advice Subvet. As it stands right now if we can come up with an additional $1000 by June 15 we'll be okay. We'll be able to stay at the apartment.