Saturday, July 4, 2009

Honoring George S. Rice, My Father-in-Law, On Independence Day


A Very Special Fallen Hero



After seeing the memorable picture of the fire fighters raising the flag after 9/11, I decided to dedicate Independence Day to a very special Fallen Hero, my Father-in-Law, George S. Rice. I never knew my father-in-law since he died when my husband, Kevin was only 8 years old. I consider George Rice one of the bravest men ever, to sacrifice his life in the line of duty in order to protect others'. I am proud of both him and my husband. My husband had to endure the loss of his father at eight years old. I can't imagine what he and his family went through on that day and in the days ahead. I believe that it is one of the most selfless acts ever, to give one's own life in the line of duty.

On August 2nd, 1978 George Rice and several other firefighters responded to a fire at the Waldbaum's Grocery Store, in a section of Brooklyn called Sheepshead Bay. Three engine Companies, and two ladder companies, along with the 33 Battalion were dispatched to the scene. The Waldbaum's was under major renovations at the time. The workers pointed out where the fire apparently started. Due to the renovations the fire quickly spread to the roof. As the fire worsened the 33rd battalion sent out a second alarm. As Units were operating on the roof area the fire worsened, and the fire was now shown through two roof areas. The roof ended up collapsing. The Brave Fallen Firefighters were found amidst the rubble of what used to be the Waldbaum's store. There were five other firefighters who died alongside George Rice. On the 20th Anniversary of the six firefighters deaths the corner where the Waldbaum's Store used to stand, was now to be called Fireman's Corner in honor of the six firefighters who gave their lives on August 2, 1978. God Bless to a very special hero, George Rice.


As we remember all of our brave men and women on Independence day, the birthday of our nation, I am proud to honor especially today George Rice. From the stories I have heard, he was a great father to my husband. It is unfortunate that his life was taken so soon, but I believe that both Kevin and I have a very special angel in heaven watching over us today. Even though, I never had the opportunity to meet him I feel that I have a special connection with him.



God Bless America!!
God Bless Our Fallen!!


God Bless Our Troops!!


God Bless My Hero George Rice!!



3 comments:

Kevin T. Rice said...

Thank you my love.

I expect I shall be posting a link to this next month on my own blog, on the anniversary.

Anonymous said...

God bless George Rice and all the American heroes.

Thank you Teresa and Kevin.

Anonymous said...

I saw a link to your post from Nick Goomba's blog. This is so inspiring. You must be proud to be related to such a man.