Friday, June 18, 2010

Vatican Endorses 'The Blues Brothers'

This is one movie that I haven't seen.  This sounds like a fun loving and good movie to watch.

In an article marking the 30th anniversary of John Landis' classic movie 'The Blues Brothers', the Vatican's official newspaper 'L'Osservatore Romano,' has called the film a 'Catholic classic' and says it should be recommended viewing for Catholics everywhere.


The film tells the story of Jake and Elwood, played by John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd, who set out on a 'mission from God' to raise money for the Catholic orphanage where they grew up - run by a nun they call 'the Penguin'. Their rampaging concert tour includes car chases, clashes with the police and neo-Nazi groups, and attempts at revenge from a spurned lover.

Besides Belushi and Aykroyd, the film features an all-star cast including musicians James Brown, Cab Calloway, Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, John Lee Hooker, and Chaka Khan, who provide a classic blues soundtrack; and actors John Candy, Carrie Fisher, Charles Napier, and Henry Gibson, and cameo roles for Frank Oz, Steven Spielberg, Landis, Mr T and Paul Reubens.

Here is a movie clip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCTJeT2i9QU




H/T ICN

10 comments:

Most Rev. Gregori said...

I saw the movie when it first came out and it was a riot.

Matt said...

I haven't seen it for years. It was good though.

Opus #6 said...

A classic.

Ray said...

My little brother and his best friend were in it. I wrote about it here.
I have it obviously and love the music.

Anonymous said...

? I've heard of it.

LL said...

Most of you don't know this, but "The Penguin sent me."

Teresa said...

Ray,
That is cool! It sounds like your brother is still raving about his awesome experience. That is an experience of a lifetime.

Ray said...

I brag about it more than he does prolly..lol. It's framed like you see the baseball cards done with the check in the middle, $100 for the day.

Malcolm said...

I can't count the number of times I've seen "The Blues Brothers". It is arguably the best movie inspired by an SNL skit.

Teresa said...

Malcolm,
Hi! How are you doing? I can't wait to see The Blues Brothers.


BTW- I meant to respond to your previous comment but after I changed my layout I lost some of my comments from when I tried out and used the Disqus commenting system. I'll look up exactly which post you commented on and get back to you.