Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Letter To The President by Harold B. Estes, a WWII Veteran

Ship Out!""


This venerable and much honored WW II vet is well known in Hawaii

for his seventy-plus years of service to patriotic organizations and

causes

all over the country. A humble man without a political bone in his body,

he has never spoken out before about a government official, until now.

He dictated this letter to a friend, signed it and mailed it to the

president.


Dear President Obama,


My name is Harold Estes, approaching 95 on December 13 of this

year. People meeting me for the first time don't believe my age because

I remain wrinkle free and pretty much mentally alert.


I enlisted in the U.S. Navy in 1934 and served proudly before, during

and after WW II retiring as a Master Chief Bos'n Mate. Now I live in a

"rest home" located on the western end of Pearl Harbor, allowing me to

keep alive the memories of 23 years of service to my country.


One of the benefits of my age, perhaps the only one, is to speak my

mind, blunt and direct even to the head man.


So here goes.


I am amazed, angry and determined not to see my country die before I do,

but you seem hell bent not to grant me that wish.


I can't figure out what country you are the president of.

You fly around the world telling our friends and enemies despicable lies

like:

" We're no longer a Christian nation"

" America is arrogant" - (Your wife even

announced to the world,"America is mean-

spirited. " Please tell her to try preaching

that nonsense to 23 generations of our

war dead buried all over the globe who

died for no other reason than to free a

whole lot of strangers from tyranny and

hopelessness.)

I'd say shame on the both of you, but I don't think you like America,

nor do I see an ounce of gratefulness in anything you do, for the

obvious gifts this country has given you. To be without shame or

gratefulness is a dangerous thing for a man sitting in the White House.


After 9/11 you said," America hasn't lived up to her ideals."


Which ones did you mean? Was it the notion of personal liberty that

11,000 farmers and shopkeepers died for to win independence from the

British? Or maybe the ideal that no man should be a slave to another

man, that 500,000 men died for in the Civil War? I hope you didn't mean

the ideal 470,000 fathers, brothers, husbands, and a lot of fellas I

knew personally died for in WWII, because we felt real strongly about

not letting any nation push us around, because we stand for freedom.


I don't think you mean the ideal that says equality is better than

discrimination. You know the one that a whole lot of white people

understood when they helped to get you elected.


Take a little advice from a very old geezer, young man.


Shape up and start acting like an American. If you don't, I'll do what

I can to see you get shipped out of that fancy rental on Pennsylvania

Avenue. You were elected to lead not to bow, apologize and kiss the

hands of murderers and corrupt leaders who still treat their people like

slaves.


And just who do you think you are telling the American people not to

jump to conclusions and condemn that Muslim major who killed 13 of his

fellow soldiers and wounded dozens more. You mean you don't want us to

do what you did when that white cop used force to subdue that black

college professor in Massachusetts, who was putting up a fight? You

don't mind offending the police calling them stupid but you don't want

us to offend Muslim fanatics by calling them what they are, terrorists.


One more thing. I realize you never served in the military and never

had to defend your country with your life, but you're the

Commander-in-Chief now, son. Do your job. When your battle-hardened

field General asks you for 40,000 more troops to complete the mission,

give them to him. But if you're not in this fight to win, then get out.

The life of one American soldier is not worth the best political

strategy you're thinking of.


You could be our greatest president because you face the greatest

challenge ever presented to any president.

You're not going to restore American greatness by bringing back our

bloated economy. That's not our greatest threat. Losing the heart and

soul of who we are as Americans is our big fight now.

And I sure as hell don't want to think my president is the enemy in this

final battle.


Sincerely,

Harold B. Estes


When a 95 year old hero of the "the Greatest Generation" stands up and

speaks out like this, I think we owe it to him to send his words to as

many Americans as we can. Please pass it on.

12 comments:

The Born Again American said...

The beauty of this was that he didn't use the words "whipper snapper" once, as that would have weakened his argument... At the ripe old age of 59, I can only pray that when and if those numbers are reversed in my case, I know who I am and what day it is...
Harold B. Estes, you not only allowed me to be born an American, you exemplify what it is to be an American... God Bles You...

Most Rev. Gregori said...

Oh, if only those of the younger generations had such courage.

Eric Graff said...

Wow... Powerful stuff from a man who knows his stuff. Very very impressive. To bad Obama wouldn't read or care about it even if he could read or care. He's not capable.

Please stop by if you would and read my Dec. 2nd post. Please let me know if I'm off base. I already know I'm not politically correct.

Matt said...

I say this recently. Good, and powerful.

Ron Russell said...

I read this letter just the other day on several sites and it certainly worth posting. It's an amazing letter by an amazing man and deserves a read. Will Obama ever see it, or if he does will he ever read it of course Teresa you know the answer already. Obama is the "I" president and the word "We" in not in his vocabulary. He is unpatriotic, unqualified, and unwanted!

Amusing Bunni said...

Hi Teresa! This gentleman is a Hero! I wish Glenn Beck or someone else on Fox would have him on their show! Thanks for posting this.

WomanHonorThyself said...

what a hero Teresa..great find!

Woodsterman (Odie) said...

Thank you Teresa, I needed that.

Teresa said...

Everyone,
Since I either have the flu or cold or something I am going make one comment to all of you fine patriots.

This is a very moving letter. He is courageous and I hope many others are courageous like him. God Bless Harold B. Estes

Anonymous said...

Knows his stuff? LOL Many of his statements are taken out of context. This country was based on religious freedom, not just Christianity. How many times do you see the words Christian or Bible in the US Constitution? I am a Christian, but I have friends who are Buddhist, Hindu, and Muslim and we share similar values and morals.
Where was the outrage when Bush was out there holding hands and kissing Saudi kings and princes? Remember Saudi Arabia? The country where the 9/11 terrorists came from? Any president that just takes whatever his appointed generals tell him should be immediately impeached. Bush, you know, the one who never served even though he was enlisted? He replaced the generals he didn’t like in order to hear what he wanted. Look what a mess that has created. I could go on...but those who have been saturated with FOX news will never take off blinders and watch some other media, real journalism to get a better handle on reality.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Anonymous I thought I was on the Twilight Zone and that no one was seeing the misquotes and downright misrepresentations - from a Christian Veteran, no less. Mr. Estes means well however someone please help him check his facts.

Teresa said...

To the two ANONS,
You have not a clue about history or as to the TRUTH about history. Mr. EStes hit the nail on the head. BO might as well be a cheerleader for our enemy by his actions and inactions with regards to different situations during his presidency and even pre-presidency. Fox news channel is the only real news channel that is willing to tell the facts and not kiss BO's ass like CNN, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, and ABC does. Fox is willing to ask the hard-hitting questions instead of being aids of the White House and covering everything up that BO has done wrong like our lamestream media does. Go keep having your heads in the sand. Maybe you'll see the light when BO and his administration has taken away your liberty and freedom.